For the first time the world scholarly community learned about the existence of the rock-hewn churches near the village of Ivanovo in 1914 from the announcement made by Karel Škorpil in his book “Description of the Antiquities along the Rusenski Lom River”.
In 1979 the monastery complex was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
There are many problems related to the preservation of the Rock-Hewn Churches. One of them is the instability of the rock formation in the area. Additional challenges are the polluted air and the infiltration of water in some of the rock cells, as well as the growth of microorganisms in the fresco layer. The Regional Museum of History in Rousse has been entrusted with the preservation of the monument.