The Boyana Church is known to the scholars from the middle of the 19th century mainly through the notes of the Russian Victor Grigorovich (1848) and the Bosnian Stefan Verkovich (1855). Nevertheless, Konstantin Jireček should be considered as its first discoverer. In his book "Travels in Bulgaria" (1888) he dedicated several pages to the church.
The Boyana Church has been included in the List of Cultural and Natural Monuments of UNESCO in October 1979. The preservation of this remarkable monument of the Bulgarian medieval art is entrusted to the National Museum of History.